Windows updates have caused problems with the Windows File and Printer sharing and may have caused some PCs to enter a boot loop or cause Salon Touch to not open. The main error messages usually being "Underlying Provider Error" or asking for a SQL Login. Other issues have been reported, with majority of these have being resolved following these steps:
(This must be done on all computers in salon!)
- First, make sure both computers are on the SAME Internet Network. This MUST be done before proceeding with other steps.
- Open the Control Panel and go to "Network and Sharing Center"
- On the left side, Select "Advanced Sharing Settings"
- Check to make sure that the Password Protected Sharing is turned OFF, File and Printer Sharing is turned ON, and Network Discovery is turned ON for all 3 sections in the settings. Save Changes
- Next, go to "Services" on the computer and run as administrator
- Check to make sure that the following services are running and set to "automatic" : DHCP Client, Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, Network Connections, Peer Networking Grouping, Peer Name Resolution Protocol, SSDP Discovery, UPnP Device Host.
- Check that the IPV6 protocol is turned off on the server machine and the workstation. Then you can restart all computers.
- On the Server and Workstation computers, Open "File Explorer" and Select "Network", you should be able to see each computer on the Network and access the "SalonTouch" folder.
- If after checking all 3 of those sections, you may then turn them over to a computer tech, as anything more would be out of scope for us.
Accessing SalonTouch Folder across the Windows Network
This update is causing problems with workgroup networking.
- Go to "File Explorer" on the Server computer, then locate "SalonTouch" folder on the C drive
- Unshare SalonTouch folder on the Server.
- Right click on the folder and click Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab.
- Click Advanced Sharing...
- Uncheck the Share this folder.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
- Reshare the SalonTouch folder on the server.
- Propagate changes to all child objects.
- On the workstation, use the path to SalonTouch on the server PC (\\MainPCname) Etc.
- Enter the Username & Password to the server PC and check off the Remember me.
- The Username will be in COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME format.
At this time Microsoft has not released any updates or statements on the update. Our support technicians are not able to resolve this issue as it is a Windows level issue. Our support technicians can still contact the salon and determine root cause of the problem, but if the issue is caused by an update to version 1803 we will not be able to resolve it.
If your business cannot wait for an update from Microsoft, you can attempt a system restore to a point before the April update. This may take several hours depending on the age of the restore point and the number of changes occurring.
WARNING: If the PC loses power during the system restore, the Windows operating system may become damaged. You may want to consult your computer technician before performing a system restore.
Microsoft has information on performing a system restore located on their website: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
Windows Users can defer updates in Windows 10 for a certain period of time: Microsoft has information on how to defer the updates here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026834/windows-10-defer-upgrades. Windows Professional users can pause the Windows updates for a set duration: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028233/windows-10-schedule-a-restart-or-pause-updates.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article